Since I could not find a quickstart to run opengrep with the full set of rules from their fork I thought I'd document what I found out. Setup Download the opengrep binary from github and make it executable with chmod +x . Clone the rules repo: git clone git@github.com:opengrep/opengrep-rules.git and clean it up to make it usable to opengrep: cd opengrep-rules rm -rf ".git",".github",".pre-commit-config.yaml", "elixir", "apex" find . -type f -not -iname "*.yaml" -delete rm -rf .github rm -rf .pre-commit-config.yaml Ensure opengrep can load the rules with: opengrep_manylinux_x86 validate . The same can be done for custom rules maintained in a separate repository. AFAIU Multiple repositories can be specified by repeating -f option as needed, see below. We are now ready to scan a repo, from the repo root directory run: opengrep_manylinux_x86 scan \ -f <path_to>/opengrep-rules \ --error \ --exclude-rule=VAL some ti...
Great trick I just learned from Aviv Ben-Yosef : as the saying goes "a rudder only works when you're moving", Ben-Yosef suggests ditching the search for a "perfect" solution that usually leads to paralysis and instead fully embracing the concept of "experimenting". By framing changes as time-boxed experiments, I can protect egos and at the same time create the safety for my team to speak up while we test our educated guesses. This iterative approach helps us embrace uncertainty and move forward without letting the fear of commitment freeze our progress. Just when I needed it!