Skip to main content

OpenNMS 15: warm your postgres cache

OpenNMS 15 puts a much higher load on the database than previous versions.
Besides tuning postgres, the OS and perhaps splitting the app and the db on different boxes one aspect that I found to really make a difference is having a warm postgres cache.

Additional tip: if you haven't already put postgres on XFS. There is a reason that RH7 switched to XFS as the default fs and it is performance. You will also find that most postgres people recommend XFS instead of ext3/4.

If you followed the instructions on my previous post you should have a v_database_cache view in the opennms database. Soon after installing OpenNMS 15 I found that the events relation was not cached at all (less than 2% of it was cached after one day).

This is probably due to to various reasons, most likely queries have been improved to use indices instead of scanning the tables, but the UI performance suffers (it takes 1-2 seconds to display the node pages)[1].

To warm the datbase cache and improve general performance and responsiveness of the UI run this command as the postgres user:
psql -A opennms -c "select * from events; " > /dev/null
If you have a large events table consider adding a filter (ie: only events from the last week).

Now check the database cache: percent_of_relation should show a larger value for the events relation. In my case it was 100% (shared_buffers=1GB , event table is ~180M) and I found the UI to be much much snappier.

opennms=# select * from  v_database_cache ;
            relname            | buffered | buffers_percent | percent_of_relation 
 events                        | 181 MB   |            17.7 |               100.0
 notifications                 | 44 MB    |             4.3 |                84.6
 outages                       | 16 MB    |             1.6 |               100.0
 events_ipaddr_idx             | 4128 kB  |             0.4 |                40.9
 bridgemaclink                 | 4704 kB  |             0.4 |               100.7
 events_nodeid_idx             | 4008 kB  |             0.4 |                51.9
 events_nodeid_display_ackuser | 4480 kB  |             0.4 |                42.9
 assets                        | 2848 kB  |             0.3 |               101.1
 snmpinterface                 | 1576 kB  |             0.2 |               100.0
 bridgemaclink_pk_idx2         | 2296 kB  |             0.2 |               100.0

Thanks for reading.

[1] yes I am running on somewhat aged hardware (Proliant DL580G5, RAID10 on 10K drives, 8GBRAM, 2 × XEON).


Popular posts from this blog

Indexing Apache access logs with ELK (Elasticsearch+Logstash+Kibana)

Who said that grepping Apache logs has to be boring?

The truth is that, as Enteprise applications move to the browser too, Apache access logs are a gold mine, it does not matter what your role is: developer, support or sysadmin. If you are not mining them you are most likely missing out a ton of information and, probably, making the wrong decisions.
ELK (Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana) is a terrific, Open Source stack for visually analyzing Apache (or nginx) logs (but also any other timestamped data).

From 0 to ZFS replication in 5m with syncoid

The ZFS filesystem has many features that once you try them you can never go back. One of the lesser known is probably the support for replicating a zfs filesystem by sending the changes over the network with zfs send/receive.
Technically the filesystem changes don't even need to be sent over a network: you could as well dump them on a removable disk, then receive  from the same removable disk.

A not so short guide to ZFS on Linux

Updated Oct 16 2013: shadow copies, memory settings and links for further learning.
Updated Nov 15 2013: shadow copies example, samba tuning.

Unless you've been living under a rock you should have by now heard many stories about how awesome ZFS is and the many ways it can help with saving your bacon.

The downside is that ZFS is not available (natively) for Linux because the CDDL license under which it is released is incompatible with the GPL. Assuming you are not interested in converting to one of the many Illumos distributions or FreeBSD this guide might serve you as a starting point if you are attracted  by ZFS features but are reluctant to try it out on production systems.

Basically in this post I note down both the tought process and the actual commands for implementing a fileserver for a small office. The fileserver will run as a virtual machine in a large ESXi host and use ZFS as the filesystem for shared data.